So there I was taking a break while in the midst of writing a blog about taking time out, nourishing myself, and most importantly taking a social media time out while on my period. And BOOM, saw the post below float by on my facebook feed, with Iris Josephina feeling exactly the same way – so I asked her if I could just share hers instead 😉 Here it is. Enjoy.
P E R I O D R E T R E A T // my blessed moontime <3
for those who missed it, here are the what and why of this#PERIODRETREAT again.
// what does it mean? //
1. i am currently on my moontime (i.e. my period)
2. i am only available for emergencies or highly important things that really cannot wait
3. i am not replying to any fb/what’s app/text messages until i feel i can fully focus on the outer world again — after i have had full focus on my inner world (which usually takes 3 days)
// why do i do this? //
1. because our periods are naturally a time to cleanse (it’s happening physically, but it also means: mentally and emotionally) and our fast society usually does not allow this to happen — and my usual way of doing things is “if it does not exist, i will create it myself” so here you go: #PERIODRETREAT
2. because my whole body craves rest and as little input as possible
3. because i want to experience this time of the month as an important part of my life and not just a thing that happens, or a side-thing that is more annoying than beautiful
4. because i want to raise awareness on the importance of slowing down during this time of the month
5. because every menstruator deserves a retreat every month (our hormones crave for it! ask them!)
6. because menstruation is awesome. period. (:
ps: feel free to use #PERIODRETREAT!! it’s here to change the way we think about periods so go ahead and be the change! one cycle at a time.
Hear, Hear! I couldn’t have said it better myself. And since leaving the corporate world, to start my own Ladylicious journey, I actively take period retreats, which is one of the best things I’ve ever done for my health – both mentally and physically. I’m less tired, and overwhelmed throughout the month, allowing space to connect into me, and float along creativity, inspiration and grounding.
The best period retreat story I’ve ever heard was from Sylvana Simons earlier this year. She told me about meeting a family in the jungles of Suriname, where the women spent their period week in a separate house down by the river. They could take alone time, take care of each other, rest, relax, sing, dance….there were no expectations from the men or children. Each woman was there to take care of herself. There are many ways of looking at this, especially in our slightly jaded western perspective. But to me, that is the ultimate form of #PERIODRETREAT. Perfect. Awesome. Kind.
Share your Period Retreat moments with me in the comments below.
If you want to learn more about Iris’s Menstrual Revolution, and how to preorder the book, released in Autumn 2016, check it out here
© Juel McNeilly
Featured Blog photograph (c): Jade Beall
Sign up for FREE to the next Ladies’ Meet and Inspire!
COME GET YOUR FREE SAMPLE OF OWN YOUR LIFE! GUIDE
PLUS MY LADY-ZINE FULL OF LADYLICIOUSNESS TIPS AT WWW.LADYLICIOUSNESS.COM
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR NEWSLETTER, BLOG OR WEBSITE?
No problem! As long as you include this information with it (and it would be awesome if you let me know ^^) : Juel McNeilly coaches dynamic women overcome overwhelm and feeling lost, by helping them tap into their unique superpowers, and thrive! Come get your free sample of Own Your Life! Guide at www.ladyliciousness.com